Financial support

Many people are concerned about their finances after a stroke, but there is some help and support available.

Help from the Stroke Association

Our Life After Stroke Grant is a one-off payment of up to £400 for stroke survivors. Typical grants cover heating costs, white goods for the home or disability aids not available elsewhere. Our grants are means-tested and to apply, you need to be referred to us by a professional. See our Life After Stroke Grants page for more information.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you were working before you had your stroke, you may be able to claim SSP for up to 28 weeks from your employer. This will depend on how long you’ve been employed, your age and how much you earn.


Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to apply for state benefits. This applies also to those whose SSP has run out. Benefits include Employment and Support Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Carer’s Allowance.

You can get information on these benefits from the government’s online Benefits adviser or by calling the Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 88 22 00 (or 0800 220 674 if you live in Northern Ireland).

Other benefits you may be entitled to include:

  • Income Support (contact your local Job Centre Plus)
  • Working Tax Credit (contact HM Revenue and Customs on 0845 300 3900)
  • Pension Credit (contact the Pension Credit Helpline on 0800 99 1234)
  • Housing Benefit or help with rent (contact your local council), and
  • Council Tax benefit (contact your local council).

Find out about Stroke Association Life After Stroke Services in your area and about help from other sources of support.

Read our publications:

Benefits and financial assistance
Life after stroke
Life after stroke - Welsh

Useful organisations:
Age UK
Benefit Enquiry Line
Citizens Advice Bureau
Counsel and Care
Independent Living Funds
Pensions Advisory Service