If you are a stroke survivors in financial hardship, we can make a one off grants of up to £400. Our Life After Stroke Grants are for your long term benefit and are commonly used for items such as:
- Specialised respite care or a family holiday inside the UK
- Washing machine and tumble dryer, or combined washer/dryer
- Ovens, grills, and cooking equipment
- Fridge, freezer, or combined fridge-freezer
- Energy bills
- Installation of telephone line or other telecommunications
- Beds and bedding
- Medical equipment or disability aids not available from NHS
- Driving assessment or lessons
- Travel costs for compassionate reasons e.g. hospital visiting
We cannot fund:
- Private medical treatment
- Labour costs, including item removal and structural alterations
- Nursing home fees other than for respite care
- Computer equipment or televisions
- Debts and rent arrears
Our grants are means tested, so you will have to give details about your finances.
We can only approve grants where your income is lower or similar to your outgoings, and you have less than £1000 in savings.
To apply for a grant, an application must be completed on your behalf by a Stroke Association staff member, or health, social care or other charity professional. This could be your occupational therapist, health visitor or through the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.
If you are in touch with one of our Life After Stroke Services, ask your co-ordinator about our grants. Otherwise ask your health or social care professional to contact us, they can request an application form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org from their professional email account.
For more information about other benefits you may be entitled to, see our Benefits and financial assistance resource sheet.