Support for children who’s father has had a stroke

My ex husband had a major stroke whilst on holiday in Spain this July. I flew out with our children to see him in intensive care. He flew back on the 26 th of august and has been in hospital until last week.
Does anyone know of any support/counselling groups for children who have a family member that is now disabled?
My youngest, Harry who is 12 is really struggling, he won’t make eye contact or talk to his dad. He is embarrassed by the way he talks and looks.
Thank you
S rodgers


Sorry to read about your ex and the impact it has had on your children.

A good place to start to find out what is available in your local area is to contact your local Carers Centre, as they may have support groups for young carers who may be able to help. You can find your local Carers Centre at the following link:
Hope this helps,


I am very sorry to hear about your husbands stroke and how it has affected you and your family. From experience I would suggest a they are geared more towards helping young stroke survivors. When my husband had his stroke last year. My daughter was 5years old, so I'm sure its different for your 12 year old. She received a book about explaining that stroke and what things might be different. It helped explain things in a way I couldn't.
They may have suggestions that could be more suited for your son. As mentioned, local carers groups may provide some support too. I wish you and your family well.

Maybe try Barnardo’s, my son has support from them because of me having a stroke. They run groups and clubs for kids to get involved and share their experiences. My son chooses not to as he is busy enough but the options are there.



Charity information

Stroke Association is a Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in England and Wales (No 61274). Registered office: Stroke Association House, 240 City Road, London EC1V 2PR.

Registered as a Charity in England and Wales (No 211015) and in Scotland (SC037789). Also registered in Northern Ireland (XT33805), Isle of Man (No 945) Jersey (NPO 369).