Stroke is life-changing. Besides physical health, it affects a person’s emotional wellbeing, family and finances. For most survivors, recovery is not about going back to how they were before the stroke. People tell us that, for them, recovery means being supported to get on with their lives and achieve the best possible, individual, quality of life.
Our Stroke Recovery Service provides tailored support commencing in the acute hospital setting and continuing in homes, by addressing the long term practical, emotional and physical needs of stroke survivors and carers.
This short animation describes the journey of one stroke survivor, and demonstrates how the service supports him and his family along their stroke recovery journey.
What the Stroke Recovery Service provides
We provide coordinated support throughout an individual's stroke journey. Starting in hospital, we support discharge planning and assess the risk of readmission. Following discharge, we offer a comprehensive holistic assessment to identify needs, and support the best possible recovery.
In the long term, regular reviews ensure support remains appropriate to each individual, and stroke survivors and carers can also access a wide variety of support groups and self-management tools.
Through the Stroke Recovery Service, stroke survivors will receive:
- coordinated support and formal reviews from a key worker throughout their stroke journey
- a holistic assessment of the practical, emotional and physical needs of both stroke survivor and carer at point of referral
- a tailored recovery plan with intensive coordinated support, according to level of need, to ensure the best possible recovery and achievement of personal goals
- practical and emotional support for survivors, their carers and families
- access to stroke specific self-management tools and support
- active listening and problem solving, including signposting to local services and support
- representation and advocacy support
- peer and social support for long term support.
The value of our Stroke Recovery Service
An independent exploration study of the value and impact of our Stroke Recovery Service was carried out by Dr David Wright, Director of Merle Wright Consulting Limited, between July and September 2016.
The research addressed questions about how people experienced the service, what they value about it, what difference it makes, its contribution to recovery and what could be improved.
For more information, please view the full final report.
We have also recently released ‘our services impact’ report based on data collected and evidence gathered from our services to demonstrate the impact we make to quality of life following a stroke. Please view the services impact summary.
Find out more
To enquire about or commission our Life after Stroke Services, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org