Give a Hand and Bake is a fun and easy way to raise money that will help us to provide life changing support to stroke survivors. It’s a simple idea: across the UK, amazing fundraisers like you will don your aprons to bake (or buy – we won’t tell) some delicious treats, then sell them to your friends, family, or work colleagues. Once you’ve washed up and packed away, you can send the money that you raised over to us online, so that we can reach more stroke survivors and help rebuild their lives.
Every five minutes, someone in the UK has a stroke. The impact can be life-changing. It varies depending on which part of the brain is affected, but it could be anything from wiping out your speech and physical abilities to affecting your emotions and personality. We’re there to support stroke survivors and rebuild life after stroke, but we need your help to continue to do that.
Thank you for a fantastic Bake Week 2019. Sign-ups for 2020 are currently closed, but we’ll soon be back open for you to bake all year round.
Reasons to bake
A bake sale might seem like a small step, but we value every donation, big or small.
- Just £10 could allow a stroke survivor to attend an art therapy group, a setting in which communication and creativity are used to encourage both recovery and quality of life.
- £17 could fund an hour of a Stroke Support Coordinator's time, ensuring stroke survivors are fully supported after a stroke and into their recovery.
- £50 could help pay for research into new stroke treatments, as we did with thrombolysis - a clot-busting drug that returns the blood supply to the brain, a treatment which has greatly helped stroke survivors who have received it.
- £80 could pay for a stroke survivor to attend a six-week computer course, a vital communication tool to aid recovery and beyond.
- £199 could pay for one hour of Helpline activity, helping the families of stroke survivors support their loved ones after stroke.
- £300 could allow a befriending volunteer to work with a stroke survivor for up to a year, perhaps accompanying them on a bus journey once a week until they feel confident enough to take the same journey on their own.
- £525 could help pay for a block of communication support workshops, empowering stroke survivors to achieve the best possible level of communication, improving confidence and independence.
And remember, that’s just what your bake sale could raise alone. Imagine what a difference hundreds of people like you up and down the country could make when all your efforts come together.
Every five minutes, stroke destroys lives. Help us rebuild them and sign up to Give a Hand and Bake.