Thank you for taking an interest in our Stroke Sixes Challenge! Below we've collated some of the most frequently asked questions. But if, for any reason, you have a question that's not answered below, or in your Welcome Pack when you signed up, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
(Click on the + symbol to expand the paragraph).
Six holes of golf, six unique challenges, one easy and fun way to drive your fundraising and rebuild lives after stroke.
You may have heard that GolfSixes is a new and exciting golf format. It combines regular golf play, with unique twists on each hole. It continues to grow in popularity, notably given its success in encouraging more people into the sport and reigniting the passion for golf amongst a new audience. It is also more accessible than traditional charity golf activities, as six holes are more suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Our Stroke Sixes Challenge itself is around six holes of golf, each with a unique challenge on the green – aimed to bring awareness to the challenges stroke survivors face every day. These holes can be played at a golf course, on a mini-golf course or you could even set up your own green at home.
There are lots of ways you can get involved:
- Grab your golf clubs and your buddies and head off to the course to play six holes and take on our six challenges. Or, if you don't have a golf club why not build a green at home and take on our six challenges there, or head out to your local mini-golf course. All we ask that you continue to follow the most up to date government advice in your area - England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Jersey.
- Print off the posters provided, or send them via email to let everyone know when and where you're taking on the Stroke Sixes Challenge.
- Talk to your employer – they may want to hold a corporate event or they may offer to match fund your fundraising and help you raise even more!
- Like and share our social media posts on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, help spread the message of what we're doing.
- If you're unable to take part in the challenge but still want to support our work you can do so via our website or JustGiving.
No, it's absolutely free to sign up and take part. All we ask is that you try to raise as much money as possible to help rebuild lives after stroke.
You can contact us on 0300 330 0740 to sign up to Stroke Sixes Challenge.
We provide specialist support, fund critical research and campaign to make sure people affected by stroke get the very best care and support to rebuild their lives. But, rebuilding lives is a team effort and we couldn't do it without the courage and determination of the stroke community and the generosity of our amazing supporters.
Whilst we will be promoting Stroke Sixes Challenge throughout August and September, once you're signed up you can take on your challenge on any date that works for you. The main thing is to have fun and help raise funds for stroke survivors so we can help them get the best treatment and lifelong support they deserve.
Absolutely, it doesn't matter if you're an experienced golfer, a newbie or someone who thinks a birdie is a winged creature, you can still enjoy taking part and getting in the swing of things.
We would love everyone to get into the spirit of the challenge and play golf, or at least take on the challenges whilst putting.
However, it doesn't always have to be traditional golf! Why not take on the challenges using a broomstick rather than a golf club?
Yes, our Welcome pack is full of hints and tips on how to drive your fundraising whilst taking on your Stroke Sixes Challenge. But, if you need more advice please feel free to get in touch with our friendly team at SupporterCare@stroke.org.uk.
Due to COVID-19 our warehouse is currently unable to send out Welcome Packs. Therefore you will have received a link to your digital Welcome Pack on your sign up confirmation page, and in the first email you received from us.
No problem if you can't find it though! If you let us know your email address we'll send you another one across.
Grab your golf clubs and your buddies and head off to the course to play six holes and take on our six challenges. Or, if you don't have a golf club, why not build a green at home and take on our six challenges there, or head out to your local mini-golf course. All we ask is that you continue to follow the most up to date government advice in your area - England, Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Jersey.
If you choose to take on the Stroke Sixes Challenge at a golf club, the format for the game portion is two-player scrambles. This means both players will play every shot, but to minimise pesky shanks and bad shots, you decide together which ball to play off each time. To help even things up, if you want to make it more competitive you can apply the World Handicap System.
The team completing the hole in the fewest shots bag three match points, or a point is given to each team if the hole is a tie. If the entire game ends in a tie, an extra hole will be played to determine the winner.
You will receive a scorecard to help you keep track in your Welcome Pack when you sign up.
It's completely up to you how much you want to ask for donations. Some people like to just let people give what they want to, other people prefer to put a suggested donation of £2/£5/£10.
You can also plan some extra activities to raise even more. How about 'guess the number of golf balls in a jar?' Or there is your 'pick a purple item' game you can download on our website. And don't forget to play the 'Hole in one' game which was included in your Welcome Pack!
- If you collected your donations via a JustGiving page, you don't need to do anything, these will come directly to us.
- Online: visit our Sixes donation page and pay in your donations by debit or credit card
- By phone: you can call our friendly Supporter Care team on 0300 330 0740 and they can take your donations for you.
- By post: print off and fill in the donation form included in your Welcome Pack in and send it to:
Stroke Sixes Challenge,
FAO Supporter Care, Stroke Association,
1 Sterling Business Park,
Salthouse Road, Brackmills,
Northampton NN4 7EX.
Please do not send cash in the post.
We would love to hear how you get on, or any thoughts you have about Stroke Sixes Challenge. At the end of Stroke Sixes Challenge, you will receive a link to our survey where you can add your own comments as well as give opinions on the questions we've put forward. You can also email us at SupporterCare@stroke.org.uk with your comments and we will be sure to get back to you.