Stroke Association Voluntary Groups provide long-term social and peer support to people affected by stroke. They organise events and meet together to reduce social isolation and rebuild the confidence of members. Committee members organise and ensure the smooth running of the groups and lead the team of volunteers.
Voluntary groups are run by a team made up of a Chairperson/Group Organiser, Secretary and Treasurer/Finance. Depending on your role, you will be individually or collectively responsible for some of these tasks:
- Planning and coordinating activities for the group to undertake, including inviting speakers, arranging instructors and arranging outings.
- Managing the group’s accounts (if required), including producing a monthly report managing petty cash and acting as a cardholder on the group account.
- Chairing meetings, including an annual review meeting, to discuss the management of the group, including taking minutes and circulating agendas.
- Keeping and maintaining membership records, including emergency contact details, and keeping in touch with members through newsletters, phone or email.
- Recruiting and supporting volunteers in the group and working with the local Stroke Association staff to ensure they are supported.
- Responding to any correspondence the group may have, including keeping local Stroke Association staff informed of the activities of the group.
Please read the full role description before applying. We currently have the opportunities available in the following areas:
|Area||Role specific information||Contact|
|Lowestoft||This is a Chairperson role. The group meets weekly on Friday, 10am-12pm. You will be required to occasionally attend committee meetings. We need one person aged over 18.||Lorna Gough on 07841842326 or email@example.com|
|Lowestoft||This is a Treasurer role. The group meets weekly on Friday, 10am-12pm. The role involves submitting basic accounts which should take no longer than four hours per month. You may need to attend committee meetings on occasion. We need one person aged over 18.||Lorna Gough on 07841842326 or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Slough||This is a Secretary role. The group meets on the second Thursday of the month, 10.30am - 12.30pm. There may also be some work that is required outside of group meetings. We need one person aged over 18.||Michal Shalev on 07506120858 or email@example.com|
|Stowmarket||This is a Treasurer role. The group meets weekly on a Thursday morning, 10am-12pm but attendance is not compulsory. The role involves submitting basic accounts which should take no longer than four hours per month. You may need to attend committee meetings on occasion. We need one person aged over 18.||Brian Hilton on 07711000050 or firstname.lastname@example.org|