What will I be doing?
After a stroke many people will have problems with movement, balance and extreme tiredness, often know as fatigue. This group provides exercise sessions for stroke survivors to reduce their risk of further strokes, improve their levels of physical fitness, reduce social isolation and support daily living. As an Exercise Supporter you will be supporting stroke survivors and carers who access this group. Tasks may include:
- Working with stroke survivors to help them achieve their exercise-related goals.
- Supporting the group exercise sessions to ensure that all participants are comfortable, engaged and able to take part in all activities.
- Supporting the education sessions in order to help participants make healthy lifestyle changes.
- Helping Stroke Association staff to organise the group by planning and organising transport to the group for stroke survivors and arranging refreshments.
What skills and experience do I need?
- You have an interest in how exercise can support recovery following a stroke.
- You're comfortable supporting stroke survivors and carers either on a one-to-one basis or in a group setting.
- You're relatively fit, active and maintain a reasonably healthy day-to-day lifestyle as you will be supporting people to make positive lifestyle changes following their stroke.
- You're able to assist people in achieving goals in a supportive and empathic manner.
What skills and experience will I gain?
- Practical experience of working with people affected by stroke that could enhance your career or studies.
- An understanding and awareness of stroke and its effects and the challenges people face after stroke.
- An opportunity to enhance your CV or learn new skills.
- An opportunity to engage with your local community.
- An opportunity to gain experience with a well-respected charity delivering sector-leading services.
- Stroke Association induction and training
- Local induction to the service and how it will run to support survivors and carers.
- Regular and ongoing support from a named member of staff.
- Ongoing training as the role requires.
- Out of pocket expenses are reimbursed.
When do you need me?
- The group meets every Tuesday between 9.30am – 10.30am.
Is this a one off opportunity?
How many people are needed?
Any age restrictions?
- Over 18 years of age.