Click here to go back to financial help after a stroke.

If you work for yourself you are not eligible for Statutory Sick Pay, which is paid by employers. But help is available, so start by finding out what you might be entitled to on a benefits checker like entitledto.

The main benefit for self-employed people who are off work due to illness or disability is Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and there are other types of help you can look at.

New-style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

New-style ESA provides money for living costs while you cannot work, and support to get back into work if you are able to. You may be eligible if you have made enough National Insurance contributions.

Read more about ESA.

Universal Credit (UC)

UC is now the main benefit for working-age people. It is paid monthly and is based on your circumstances each month, including any extra amounts that apply to you if you have a health condition or disability.

Read more about UC.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is a non-means tested benefit, meaning it is based on your support needs and not on your income. It's for people with disabilities and long-term health conditions. There are two parts to PIP - daily living and mobility. Whether you get one or both parts and how much you get depends on how difficult you find everyday tasks and getting around.

Read more about PIP.

Support for mortgage interest (SMI)

If you receive Universal Credit and/or Employment Support Allowance you may also be able to apply for a Support for mortgage interest (SMI) loan to help pay towards the interest on your mortgage or another home loan.

Read more about SMI and other housing payments.

Other financial help you might be able to get include:

Read our detailed information about benefits and financial help.