Click here to go back to financial help after a stroke.

Stroke changes lives, and that includes your finances. If you or a loved one can't work due to a stroke, you might have immediate concerns about paying the bills. Later on you might be thinking about how to get your home adapted, or how to get a grant or support in a crisis.

Find out what help you can get

Use an online benefits checker like entitledto.

Universal Credit is the main benefit for people out of work or on a low income, covering income, housing costs and disability payments.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), occupational sick pay and Employment and Support Allowance are the main types of support you can get when you are off work due to a stroke. Occupational sick pay is paid by some employers on top of SSP. Read more about financial help if you are self-employed.

Grants and help in a financial crisis are available from local authorities and other organisations. This can include help for a specific disability, help to pay bills or pay moving costs. You can also get loans and grants for home adaptations if you have a disability.

Financial help for carers includes Carer's Allowance. You can also read our information for carers which takes you through the discharge process, care needs assessments and practical tips for self-care. If your loved one needs help with banking or cannot manage legal and financial decisions, you can read our guide to looking after someone else's finances.

Other types of financial help

Read our information about other types of financial support such as help with health costs like prescriptions and dental treatment, Council Tax Reduction and help with energy bills including grants for paying energy bill debts.

More information about work and care

Read about the options for accommodation after a stroke and find out more about work, volunteering and retirement after a stroke.

Read our detailed information about benefits and financial help.