Click here to go back to financial help after a stroke.

If your family member has had a stroke, it can have a knock-on effect on your finances. This can happen in a variety of ways. If the person affected is a wage earner in your household, then you may see your combined income fall depending on what percentage of their pay is protected by their employer. The financial pressure to return to work can sometimes do more harm than good, but we have these resources for a safe and effective return to work.

There is also the question of whether your home or the home of the person you care for is accessible. These costs are not the responsibility of the carer, unless of course, the person you care for is your spouse or partner. At which point, the costs will be shared between you. If the person you care for is not your spouse or partner, and they're financially independent of you, you may need some help on how to manage their finances. Either way, when it comes to living aids in the home, support is available in the form of a home assessment.

You can also request a carer's assessment if you need support. It's important not to downplay your role in helping someone to live independently, as you could be entitled to Carer's Allowance if you do it for more than 35 hours per week.

For information about eligibility and how to apply for Carer's Allowance, visit GOV.UK. You can also visit Carers UK for more support.

Read our detailed information about benefits and financial help.