Dealing with the aftermath of stroke can be tough. You may need to take time out of work, and family members can also find they need to reduce their hours to help with care.

This can be a real worry, but financial help is available through the benefits system.  

  • Benefits – Many people are not aware that they can get help and support. You can check what benefits you might be able to get by using an online benefits calculator. These include Entitledto and Turn2us. You can also get individual advice from organisations including Citizens AdviceIndependent Age and Age UK
  • Cost of living help – To help with higher costs, there are some extra payments and funding available. Visit for up-to-date information to help with the cost of living, including bills, childcare, housing and travel. 

You may also be able to get help via your employer, local council and other organisations: 

  • Energy grants – If you are struggling to pay energy bills, contact your supplier. Many energy companies have schemes to apply to if you are finding it difficult to pay gas or electricity debts, for example the British Gas Energy TrustCitizens Advice also provides information about grants available from energy suppliers to help you pay off energy debts. 
  • Council and local authority grants – Some local councils offer grants to help people on a low income. The amount you may get depends on the criteria set by your local council. You may be offered vouchers for food or fuel, clothing or emergency travel. For England and Scotland, contact your local council. For Wales, contact the Discretionary Assistance Fund online, for Northern Ireland, apply for discretionary support online. 
  • Food banks – You usually need to be referred to a food bank by a professional such as a Citizens Advice service, your GP or a social worker. Your local council can give information about food banks and other crisis support in your local area. Visit Citizens Advice for more advice. 
  • Sick pay from your employer – If you were working before your stroke, your employer may have a company occupational sick pay scheme. Speak to your employer about what you are entitled to. 
  • Carers allowance – If you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they receive certain benefits, you may be able to receive Carer’s Allowance. Visit to apply. 

Get information and support

See our financial support guidance or contact our Stroke Helpline on 0303 3033 100 or

Stroke News magazine

This article is featured in the summer 2023 edition of our magazine, Stroke News. Subscribe to our future editions available in print, on audio CD, or via email.

More Stroke News