Stock image showing someone using grab rails and support bars to access an adapted toilet.

If you have a disability after a stroke, you may need to make changes to your home so you can continue living there safely and as independently as possible. Financial support may be available to help with this.

Assessing your needs

First of all, your care and accommodation needs should be assessed by your local authority. The assessments are free and are usually done by an occupational therapist or social worker. They can visit you at home to see whether you need any equipment or adaptations to make life safer and easier.

This assessment should be arranged as part of the hospital discharge process. But if your stroke was a while ago or your needs have changed, you can contact your local authority’s adult social care team directly to ask for an assessment.

Funding small adaptations

Your assessment might suggest equipment or minor alterations that could help you at home, such as installing grab rails or getting a raised toilet seat.

If you live in England, your local council should provide these free of charge, up to the value of £1,000. In Scotland, this is up to £1,500.

In Wales, minor adaptations should be provided for free, but you might be asked to pay towards some disability equipment, depending on your circumstances. In Northern Ireland, your local trust will decide whether they’ll provide funding or if you have to pay for it.

Funding larger adaptations

If you need a larger alteration, such as widening doors or installing a wet room, the Disabled Facilities Grant is available through local authorities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

You don’t need to be claiming benefits to apply, but if you are, your grant won’t affect the amount you receive. This grant is means tested, so you could be asked to pay for some of the work.

In Scotland, you can apply to your local authority's Scheme of Assistance for help.

Other sources of funding and advice

Get more information and support

Find out more about financial support for changes to you home on our accommodation after stroke and financial information pages.

Stroke News magazine

This article is featured in the winter 2023 edition of our magazine, Stroke News. Subscribe to our future editions available in print, on audio CD, or via email.