Participants needed for research into 'Adjustment to stroke: A comparison between patients with and without aphasia'

Research title: Adjustment to stroke: A comparison between patients with and without aphasia.

Background to the research:

We would like to invite you to feedback on your understanding of your stroke and all aspects of your recovery from stroke. This may include coping with communication difficulties as a result of your stroke.

Who we are looking to recruit:

We are looking for participants who have had a stroke and who may or may not have aphasia as a consequence of the stroke. You must be 18 years or older and are able to provide informed consent to participate in the study (independently or with the support of a trusted member of your support network). Unfortunately it will not be possible for you to participate if you do not speak English (due to not having the resources to translate forms and responses) or if you have aphasia caused by a condition other than stroke (as stroke is the focus of the study).

What will I be asked to do?:

You will be asked to complete a survey and a selection of questionnaires which will help us understand your experience of stroke and how you have been coping with the condition. You will be asked to complete this under a false name to maintain your confidentiality.

How will this information be used?:

The information we get from you will be used to help us better understand how patients with and without communication difficulties as a result of a stroke experience and cope with the effects of their stroke.

This information will help people learn about recovery from stroke for patients with and without communication problems after stroke. This may improve stroke services for other people in the future.

Further information about taking part in the study:

Your decision whether or not to take part will not affect the support you get in any way and all the responses you make will be made anonymous.

Before you decide whether or not to take part it is important for you to understand what it would involve if you decide to participate. Please take time to read and consider the information sheets carefully. You will be asked to complete a consent form before taking part in the study to say that you understand what the study is about and what participating will involve.

We do not expect there will be any disadvantages or risks for you if you take part, although you may find some of the questions asked upsetting.

If you do decide to take part you can change your mind. You can stop at any time without giving a reason. If you no longer wish to take part then please inform me and your contributions to the research will be removed up to the point of writing up the research. Following this point the anonymised data already collected will be included in the study.

What next?:

If you are interested in taking part please follow the below link which will take you to the participant forms and questionnaires:

http://staffordshire.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0NTld4G44T1O473

If you have any further questions about the study then please contact me (Louise Clancy) on c027926c@student.staffs.ac.uk.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this information and for thinking about taking part in our study.

Lead Researcher: Louise Clancy
Academic Supervisor: Dr Rachel Povey

Thankyou to all who have participated in my study so far. Just to let you know that I am still looking for more participants if anyone is interested in taking part. Please do not hesitate to get intouch if you would like any further information.
Thankyou
Louise

Thankyou once again to all who have been taking part in my study so far. To update anyone interested in taking part I have taken out a questionnaire which should make the study quicker and easier to complete. There is an option for me to post out paper copies of the research questionnaires for anyone who would prefer this option. Please do not hesitate to get intouch if you have any further questions about taking part.
Thankyou
Louise

Thankyou again to everyone who has taken part in my research. I am still looking for more participants to take part if anyone is interested in taking part. Please get intouch if you have any further questions about taking part.

Thankyou

Louise

Hi All
I'm still looking for another 10-15 participants to take part in my research. If you are interested in taking part please follow the below link which will take you to the participant forms and questionnaires:

http://staffordshire.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0NTld4G44T1O473

If you have any further questions about the study then please contact me (Louise Clancy) on c027926c@student.staffs.ac.uk.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this information and for thinking about taking part in our study.

Louise

Hi All. Just an update to say that I am looking for a couple more participants to take part in my study. Thankyou to all who have participated so far. Louise

I would like to say thankyou to everyone who has taken part in my study and to provide an update that recruitment for the study has now come to an end.

Thankyou again for your support with this study.

Best Wishes

Louise

Charity information

Stroke Association is a Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in England and Wales (No 61274). Registered office: Stroke Association House, 240 City Road, London EC1V 2PR.

Registered as a Charity in England and Wales (No 211015) and in Scotland (SC037789). Also registered in Northern Ireland (XT33805), Isle of Man (No 945) Jersey (NPO 369).