Beth and Phillipa's story
When Phillipa had a stroke at home, her daughter Beth was able to act FAST as soon as she recognised the signs.
Because of this, Phillipa made a better recovery and is now able to teach for three full days a week at a local school.
“I think that this goes to show just how powerful the FAST advert is – especially for a teenager to recognise the signs and react so quickly.” Phillipa
We want more people like Beth to learn the FAST test and share it with their friends and family, to help others to save lives and improve the chance of a better recovery for those who experience stroke.
We've got loads of free FAST materials you can order in our online shop and pass on to your friends, families and communities.
William Martin, a 42-year-old consulting engineer from West Didsbury had a stroke in 2015.
William had a company health check aged 40 and was told his cholesterol was a little high and that he was slightly overweight. As William was still young and relatively healthy, he didn’t feel concerned. Life was hectic, and William didn’t really have the time to make any lifestyle changes.
In May 2015, William was eating his breakfast while getting ready for work. As he tried to stand, he felt dizzy and fell to the floor. William had to crawl across the floor to reach his bag, and as he was in no pain, didn’t think anything was seriously wrong.
Thankfully William’s partner was still at home. Upon hearing a noise, she came downstairs to find William on the floor. She noticed William’s fallen face and slurred speech and, remembering the FAST test, rang an ambulance immediately.
The ambulance arrived within minutes and twenty minutes later William was admitted to a specialist stroke ward. William had had an ischaemic stroke. Luckily, he was discharged the following day but had a long recovery ahead of him.
William has permanent, irreversible brain tissue damage and has psychological, emotional and cognitive difficulties as a result of his stroke.
If William’s partner had not remembered the FAST test and called 999 so quickly, the effects of William’s stroke could have been a lot worse.