Attendance Allowance is a benefit for people aged 65 or over who need help with their care because of an illness or disability. Stroke survivors are often eligible for this support but many don't know enough about it to apply. Our Stroke Helpline Team tell us more about it.

Am I eligible?

You can claim Attendance Allowance if you have:

  • Reached state pension age.
  • A physical or mental health disability or illness that means you need help caring for yourself. For example, you need help with getting dressed, communicating your needs or supervision to keep you safe at home. It doesn't cover mobility needs.

You can receive this benefit even if you don't actually have someone helping with your care needs. You just need to show that you have needed help for at least six months - unless you're terminally ill, then you can make a claim straight away.

However, you can't get Attendance Allowance if you already get Personal Independent Payment (PIP) or if you get Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

How much will I get?

There are two rates for Attendance Allowance. Whether you get the lower or the higher rate will depend on how much care you need because of your disability.

  • If you need help or supervision during either the day or night, you'll receive the lower rate.
  • If you need help or supervision during both the day and night, you'll receive the higher rate.

Attendance Allowance isn't means-tested, so what you earn, receive from your pension, or have in your savings won't affect your claim.

What can I spend it on?

You can spend Attendance Allowance as you wish - you don't have to spend it on someone looking after you. Although, people often choose to use it to make life a bit easier, for example, paying for a cleaner or gardener.

How can I get help with completing the forms?

  • Contact your nearest Citizens Advice and ask if they can help you with your form.
  • Talk to a friend, relative or carer if you'd prefer to go through the form with someone you know.
  • In some areas, your local Age UK can also help with completing the form.

Where can I find out more or request a claim form?

England, Scotland or Wales

  • Visit the website.
  • Call the Attendance Allowance helpline: 0800 731 0122
  • (Textphone: 0800 731 0317)

Northern Ireland

  • Visit the website.
  • Call the Disability and Carers Service: 0800 587 0912
  • (Textphone: 0800 012 1574)

Stroke News magazine

This article is featured in the Spring 2020 edition of our magazine, Stroke News. Subscribe to our future editions available in print, on audio CD, or via email.